Monday, March 14, 2011

Birthday Trip Day 3

Day 3 we woke up to a very beautiful but very windy day.
Wind gust were like 15 mph (maybe 20 I can't remember at this point being it was a week and a half ago).

Off the little beach at our hotel.
Remember how I said I wanted to retire in Sarasota Fl? Well, I've changed my mind. I'll take that house on the end of that island please.
The water was absolutely gorgeous. What was amazing was that we were surrounded by it.
We made it to Key West! This jail was for pirates according to my husband.
This was the only strip of beach we saw. Our friend Justin says that that's pretty much it. We never actually made it out to the beach in Key West. Our plans to stay the night that night didn't pan out.
The Southernmost Hotel
The closest gift shop to Cuba. I don't think Chris realized that this store sold Key Lime Pie on a stick!!! Key Lime Pie is his FAVORITE pie. It's too tart for me. But I do love pie crust though.
Here we are 90 miles from Cuba at the southernmost point in the continental USA.
Jimmy Bufett used to live here.
Can you see Cuba??? Of course not. It's too far away. I did look very hard for it though. :)
Flowers were in full bloom. It was a perfect day.
Ernest Hemingway's house.
This made me laugh. It was like 2 houses down from Hemingway's house.
Excuse me, Mr. Chicken, why are you crossing the road?
To get to the other side.
Mile 0 on US highway 1. We were going to get a mile 0 sticker to put on Chris's bike (which is apparently what you do if you have a bike and are in Key West), but since we ended up not staying, we forgot about it.
Some type of crazy tree that grows in Key West.
I just couldn't get enough of the water. It was so beautiful.
Of course we had to stop here and get a drink.
And this is the drink we got. Chris picked out the coconut himself! I didn't like it. It had 3 shots of 3 different kinds of rum mixed with the coconut milk. It wasn't sweet enough for me. Next time, I'll pick a pineapple and have a pina colada.

We had planned on staying the night that night, hang out a little the next day and then head home. We had some difficulty at the Marriot we had planned on staying at, so we cancelled our reservation and hit the road. Looking back, I'm glad we did because Daytona Bike Week was AWESOME! So glad we didn't miss that.




No comments:

Post a Comment