Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veterans Day

I just wanted to take the time out to thank ALL of our military for sacrificing so much for our freedom!!

Both my grandfathers served for the United States Marine Corps. My father served in the US Navy.  I also have 2 cousins, John Schaffer and Isaiah Schaffer, that served in the USMC.

This is my grandpa, William V Gegenheimer II.  My favorite memory of Grandpa G was when I did a report on him in school. He was living with us at the time, so it was easy to get my information. He told me a wonderful story of how he was able to escort Marilyn Monroe to a Marine Ball!  Unfortunately, I wasn't as close to him as I was my other grandfather. Looking back, I wish I would have taken the time while he lived with us and spent more time with him. He lived with us from when I was 8 to about 14, when he passed.  You just don't realize how important that time is with them until you are older.
This man, however, I was close with. This is my grandpa John Fredrick Schaffer, but everyone called him Fred. He received a Purple Heart for his service in the Korean War.
I stole these pictures off of my Aunt Debbie's Facebook page. This is  a newspaper clipping of my grandfather. He's the one with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth.  My Grandpa Schaffer passed away on New Year's Eve when I was in eighth grade.  Writing this blog post really got to me. These men are greatly missed by the ones who loved them.

I'm so proud to be the granddaughter of two very courageous men.

No comments:

Post a Comment